It was a recent, direct experience of ours. A client we were advising had absolutely no idea that bailiffs were going to show up on their front door on the 1st of June, with absolutely no prior warning! Having enquired about this, the courts confirmed that they were behind on sending out their paperwork.
So our client had an unwanted, unexpected guest first thing after the weekend.
Therefore folks, beware who you open the door to!
Landlords may be restricted from forfeiting leases based on non-payment of rent, but High Court Enforcement bailiffs are out and about.
See BP’s guide to upcoming key deadlines to bear in mind:
30 June 2021
- Restrictions on Forfeiture – Commercial leases cannot be forfeited for non-payment of rent until 30 June 2021.
- Wrongful Trading – Relaxation of directors’ liability.
- Statutory demands – Statutory demands made in the relevant period are void
- Winding-up petitions and orders – Restrictions to be lifted at the end of June.
- Exemptions for small business suppliers from ipso facto restrictions – Small business suppliers are exempt from their obligation to supply under the end of June.
31 September 2021
- Moratorium – Temporary modifications to the new (and otherwise permanent) moratorium procedure have been extended until 30 September 2021.
- Furlough – The Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme has been extended until the end of September. Therefore, claims for furlough days in September must be submitted by 14 October 2021.
These provisions may be extended further – the renewed discretionary power, pursuant to which the above adjustments and extensions are being implemented, expires 29 April 2022 (such that underlying measures should not extend beyond end October 2022)
It is also worth bearing in mind that many Bounce Back Loans and CBILS are reaching their anniversary dates since these Loans were first granted. As a result the Interest Free and Capital Repayment Holidays are coming to an end with companies and individuals now having to meet their monthly obligations to make payments to the Banks and other institutions